Friday, March 19, 2010

Pokhara

OK, it is a very touristy place and the foreigners may outnumber the locals; but, somehow it is all OK and I am enjoying Pokhara. On the banks of Phewa Lake and surrounded by hills (they look like mountains to me) over the tops of which can be seen the snow-capped peaks of massive mountains in the clear morning sky, Pokhara is a gorgeous location. The people are very friendly - smiles burst out on faces at the slightest provocation - and the pace is slow and calm. Plus, it is considerably cleaner than the places I visited in India. Mostly, Pokhara is an endpoint for mountain trekkers and a base camp for outdoor enthusiasts who like to do all that activity stuff like falling out of the sky or kayaking or climbing mountain trails that are way too steep for those of us with a much more sedate view of vacation. Many of the tourists are young people with too much energy, too little money, and their whole world in a backpack; but, there are enough from all stages of life to support a wide range of interests and enjoyments. A quiet outdoor table overlooking Phewa Lake with coffee and a newspaper for breakfast? Absolutely. Oh, don't mind the yak-cow bovines grazing all around you - they aren't in a hurry either.

Since Lumbini ended the more seriously pilgrimage part of my trip, I decided to splurge a little and got a nice hotel room with a modern bathroom - not just a real shower and plenty of hot water, but even a bath! Ah, luxury. Today I will even have two meals - I had scrambled eggs with spinach for breakfast and will push out lunch to have dinner with fellow travelers I met in Sonauli. They are moving from San Francisco to New York and took the scenic route through Asia for six months. Now there is a philosophy I agree wtih: changing jobs? Take six months or a year in between! Moving to a new city three thousand miles away? Take the fifteen thousand mile route to get there!

Well, there is so much healthy activity I guess I should get some. Hmmm, let's see. I could get a row boat and float around on the lake for a bit, or maybe an Ayurvedic massage, or green tea and a good book in an open air cafe at lakeside. Decisions, decisions... maybe I'll take a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment