Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Intention

While posting some pics the other day I noticed something. During WanderAbout 2003 I got a good camera and took a bunch of pictures that tended to be focused on the quality of the photo and, as a result, I have a bunch of pictures in my rotating screen saver that I really like irrespective of the memories they may hold.

Now in Sri Lanka, I got an inexpensive snapshot camera with the intention of capturing and sharing some of my experience. The camera can actually produce some pretty good pictures, I just don't have real control over aperture, shutter speed, the ability to control pushing ISO, or the variation of focal length that helps so much with framing. Yet, what I noticed is that these pictures merely capture scenes; with few exceptions, they have no aesthetic quality.

The real difference is mostly a subtle change in intent which infected the mind and  thoroughly changed the results. The difference is in perspective and intention, and the interest their effect on expression and outcome. The difference is in Right View and Right Intention, and the interest is their effect on Right Speech and Right Action.

Oh, mindfulness, where are you?

In western culture, a father may bring his newborn before the cross and speak to Jesus, to God, saying "this is my child, bless this infant with health and a happy life".  Here, a Buddhist father brings his newborn before a statue of the Buddha and I watched as he spoke not to the Buddha, but to his child.  I imagine his words, "this is the Buddha, his teaching will guide you in life. Here you will find freedom from suffering; this is the path to happiness."


Or maybe that is just my romantic side.   ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment