Saturday, March 27, 2010

Colombo, Sri Lanka

I am just a couple of days in Sri Lanka and have only seen a bit of Colombo so far, but already appreciate it. It is much cleaner than India. The driving is crazy, but horns are only used occasionally when really needed, and there are no over-amplified broadcast systems of Hindu prayers or chanting, or tractors with sound systems blaring religious music at volumes that drown their horn. I went to a Buddhist temple and was introduced to the abbot who offered me a letter of introduction to any place in Sri Lanka I want to go meditate and then gave me a formal blessing. And, he never asked for anything; although, he did tell me of some projects where I am welcome to go volunteer if that is my desire. Last night I went from my hotel looking for a Cyber Cafe and a trishaw (same as an auto-rickshaw in India) driver tried to snag me as a fare. When I declined, saying I was just walking a couple blocks, he got out and walked with me. I guess he really hadn't much to do. Anyway, half an hour later we never found the Cyber Cafe and ended up back at the hotel. We had a nice chat and he never asked for anything - his investment was something to do and favorable consideration if I needed a taxi later. Of course, it's also a tad hot and very humid. Walking in rain today I got wet from rain and perspiration at the same time. There are still touts and hawkers and guides and I'm sure that tourist and pilgrimage destinations will have the usual annoying activities; and, I don't expect the same levels of pleasant and noble behavior throughout my wandering in Sri Lanka, but it is a wonderful welcome and I am looking forward to wandering about.

I had the thought today that maybe I should get a camera. Hmmm, I'll have to contemplate that..

No comments:

Post a Comment