Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Colombo and beyond

Life is hard. While I was being much more modest when I got to Colombo, I decided to take a break at a grand ocean-side hotel which has been serving discriminating visitors to Sri Lanka since 1864.

At the center of this picture there are a handful of deluxe rooms with private balconies. These rooms have been remodeled and are deliciously decadent with a huge jacuzzi and enough comfort to make me question whether I really need to leave the room. After all, the view from the balcony, particularly at sunset, is pretty wonderful.


OK, life isn't hard, but getting up the gumption to leave here, for whatever beauty and excitement lies ahead, is just a little hard.

But, I've certainly been in Colombo long enough, so tomorrow I head down the coast to the small beach town of Aluthgama. My plan is to stumble down the coast to Marissa moving slowly enough to keep me until at least April 15. The Sinhala and Tamil New Year is mid-April and since it is a major holiday in Sri Lanka, I decided I should just hide out on a beach somewhere. After the New Year festivities die down, it should be a better time to visit Kandy and Nuwara Eliya areas (both for fewer people and better weather, I'm told), and then migrate further north into the Ancient Cities region. Of course, plans merely keep our minds busy until reality shows up, but at least they help me select a train to board in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment